Translate

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Priced Out of Housing

I am quite upset by the news I received in the mail today that my rent is going up to $1345 per month, an increase of $50 per month (a staggering $600 per year).  I don't know what to do.  There is no place in the DC area that is even reasonable (this is one of the best), and it's not worth it (gas prices being what they are) to move even miles out of town for a better rental rate--then, the money would simply go into the tank rather than into the rental office.  I love my apartment.  For the first time in my life I've hung pictures on the walls of place not owned by a relative.  I have furniture, lamps, a workroom for my jewelry-making, plenty of space for my books.  I have a spot to park my car.  It's not too loud, and I have a friendly resident manager.  Moving in and of itself will be expensive--probably a grand or more to pack and shift everything.  Not to mention the time involved.  On the other hand, I have a debt to my mom that I need to repay.  I don't know what to do!  I was expecting the fee to go up a little--say, $15-20, maybe even $25, but this is a tremendous leap and I don't see how I can handle it.  I mean, I'm earning a pittance above minimum wage as it is, and I am actually working on my dissertation in what little free time I can scrimp.  Please pray that I will have wisdom to know what to do!

No comments: