Translate

Monday, April 18, 2011

Happy Birthday, Rita!

My niece turned 6 today!  The years have flown--when you are little, time crawls, which enables you to absorb incredible amounts of information within (what seems to an adult) a blink of an eye.  And Rita started absorbing information from her first breath, her little eyes focused and memorizing every detail of her environment from birth.  I had hoped to be up in Rhode Island to observe this birthday with her and her family, but scheduling did not permit, nor will it this coming weekend (my sister has a major exam the day after Easter, so she wouldn't be able to spend any time with me and the pipsqueaks).  I want to see them all before June, or a full year will have passed since the last time we laid eyes on one another.

I've been too tired to blog the last three weeks.  Taxes took up time (and huge amounts of money), I've been working a lot, and applying for real jobs (Dex gave me a lead on several possibilities and a contact within the company with the openings, so I figured I'd follow up--I'd love to have a bigger paycheck and a more regular workday!).  And Mums visited for a week, which was great fun.  I've cat-sat and dandled babies and run a two-day booksale at Georgetown for the History Honor Society (and donated all the leftovers to the local public library).  I've signed a two-year continuation of the lease on my apartment.  I have gotten very very little done on my dissertation, but my friend Irina and I are just a day or so away (after almost eight years!) from having the English translation of her book ready to send to publishers.

Have to work up in Bethesda tomorrow, so I need to get some sleep.  Hope all my friends in NC are OK--I've tried calling in the aftermath of the plague of tornadoes, but didn't reach them.

No comments: