Translate

Monday, February 13, 2012

Hazards of Multitasking

I am a fundamentally lazy person, which is why I like to do more than one thing at a time (listening to an audiobook while sewing or driving, for instance, and talking on the phone while cleaning the house or making jewelry)--I thereby feel less guilty about doing nothing at all betweentimes.  I also do not enjoy exercising for its own sake--I'd rather be digging a ditch or walking TO somewhere specific rather than beating my body into fitness on a treadmill or elliptical--which is why I usually read a book when I'm at the gym [Mums says I can only do this because I'm not working out hard enough (whatever!)].  I've noticed I'm not the only one who likes to distract herself while burning calories, but even so, before yesterday evening I'd never seen anyone actively knitting while walking on a stair-climber.  It was one of those escalator-style climbers, and although I was distracted for a while watching an adrenaline-packed scene from one of the Fast and the Furious movies that was playing on flatscreen overhead, and so didn't see disaster strike, it seems at one point either her ball of fuchsia yarn or the washcloth or whatever she was working on decided to drop onto the moving stairs, with predictable results--I looked over later to see her pulling bright pink string out of the machine.  I'm not sure the was the end of her evening's exercise, but it probably put purled to her knitting.

No comments: