Translate

Saturday, March 03, 2012

But It's A Good Pain

[Friday night--couldn't post as internet access was down, likely due to weather]  I am in agony.  Not, as my more fitness-oriented readers would suppose, from yesterday’s workout, although I did walk five miles and then do 28 minutes at 11 on the elliptical trainer.  No, I just returned from another superb meal at the Russia House in Dupont Circle with my friend Isabelle.  As before, we split a bottle of red Georgian wine, and then plowed through five or so tapas-style dishes before sitting back and spooning in individual portions of crème brulee.  Ah, me.  The joys of Groupons.

I have been always a harsh judge of people who let their property go to pot—you know the sort where you drive by and a shutter has fallen into the bushes and lies there for months without being replaced?  Well, let she who is without sin…  There’s a lovely cabinet in the corner of my room that I use for clothes storage.  I acquired it two years ago at the Crate and Barrel outlet in Leesburg, VA.  It cost a fraction of ordinary retail because the pane of glass in one of the three doors had been broken, and there were one or two other minor cosmetic details that I knew were easily fixable.  Yet, since I bought this cabinet, I had not replaced the glass or attended to the other issues.  Finally, fed up with my own hypocrisy, I determined yesterday that I was going to fix it.  It took at most 30 minutes and cost around 12 dollars, and that included going to the hardware store for the glass (which they cut to precision), installing the wooden border to secure the pane (and mitering it with my hacksaw) and staining the wood with a touch-up pen.  At least I can mark that particular file of my broad and unending archives of personal procrastination off the list.

The women’s retreat proved entirely restful, physically, socially and spiritually.  I am so glad I went.

Read the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins Wednesday and Thursday.  Good, but not exactly what I would consider really children’s literature, though told simply, and about a girl in her teens.  No butterflies and fairies in these, but depictions of grave physical and psychological damage and political intrigue.  Fascinating for its interweaving of the modern reality television genre, the gladiator competitions of ancient Rome, and the concentration/internment camps of our own and the last century into an amalgam both original and shockingly familiar.

Must digest a bit before I retire.  Tomorrow I plan to go to a chocolate festival in Fairfax.  “No calorie left unconsumed” is my motto this week.
[Today] The chocolate festival was delicious.  Marie and I forked over a couple of tokens apiece for fruit to dip into the chocolate fountains, and we voted for the best decorated cake at the Chocolate Challenge.  I also bid on one at the silent auction--an incredible design made by a baker at the Ritz-Carlton.  If I win, I'll post pictures! 

Have to digest again--after indulging in sweets, we went to a great little mom and pop Greek/Italian eatery...

No comments: