Translate

Monday, October 08, 2012

Doings and Undoings

One of the traits I wish my father hadn’t passed on to me is that of frequent accidental self-injury.  I missed a step on the stairs to the parking lot this morning, and my right lower leg emitted a loud and unpleasant crunching noise as I quickly descended to the asphalt.  I don’t know that I’ve broken anything (thanks to the obsessive milk-swilling), but my ankle is swollen and aches, and the tissue stitching the bones together has stretched so the foot actually feels loose. Steven and Susan invited me over for pie tonight, but I’m staying in, and in bed, for the rest of the day, missing trivia as well.  My sunburn has mostly healed, but there is a large patch of purple scars on my left shin, which was the worse affected.

I went to the young adult fellowship at church last night.  A Korean pastor is leading the group as our senior church pastor has left for another ministry, and the Scot who was in charge of the larval singles is now filling in the main adult-church role.  I will probably be spending more time in this evening church setting than in the morning services over the next month, as somehow our estate sale schedule has us doing sales on four consecutive weekends, starting next Friday.  This Friday I’m to fly to GA for Grandmommy’s 90th birthday celebration.  I just hope my leg won’t be in a boot and I won’t be hobbled by crutches for the trip.

Saturday Rachel and Patricia and I went to the Maryland Renaissance Faire.  I supplied the costumes.  There were easily over 10,000 people at the event, and the weather was lovely.  Besides the always-entertaining jousting, they had an archery demonstration, with explanations of the evolution of the bow, and how (in my interpretation), arrows were the medieval equivalent of pencils, requiring five sets of specialized skills to make, but used up in quantity in seconds in warfare, when archers were flooding the enemy with ten arrows a minute, from 150-lb bowstrings (the latter weight evidenced by shoulder skeletal remains).  Aside from the interesting details about bows and swords, we enjoyed the entertainment at the multiple outdoor stages, and window-shopping the various handmade goods.  The fried Oreo booth that had impressed Patricia and me with its greasy midway ambiance last year had been completely remodeled into a drinks stand, and there were a variety of vegetarian and reasonably healthy (not fried and/or on a stick) offerings in the food areas.  I had carrot, potato and beef stew in a bread bowl, which was actually pretty tasty.  Most of the craft booths’ wares were incredibly expensive, but the beekeepers’ were reasonable, and I bought a dozen beeswax candles (to put in my underwear drawers) and a gallon of Killer Bee honey (wonderful caramel flavor).  My annual Christmas party is scheduled for December 15.  I plan to use some of the honey to make my traditional baklava.  Yum!

It’s fascinating how, when you get interested in a particular subject, it seems to begin appearing everywhere.  Not only have I started seeing South Korea more often in the news, and there is the new pastor is at church, but our estate sale company has been interviewed to do a sale for the former Korean consulate, which was expropriated by the Japanese during their occupation of the country in the 20th century and eventually made its way into private hands, whence it has just been re-purchased by the South Korean government.  That sale should be fun!  Must expand my Korean vocabulary beyond a dozen words before then…

No comments: