Translate

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Whazzup

I have been battling the miseries and insomnia multiple nights running. The LOL Cats website has thus far enabled me only to articulate the former condition ("I haz a sad"), not dispel it.

I am supposed to dogsit for a neurotic pair of rescue beagle mixes this weekend. I am to give out treats after they relieve themselves. Their "parents" are paying me well for this attention.

Just acquired and read Guy Delisle's Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea. A telling detail that Delisle noted: no disabled people visible anywhere on the streets of the capital, and when he pointed this out to his translator, the man told him that it was because North Koreans are all born strong and healthy. Who knows what is happening to all of those many imperfectly formed humans?  Birth defects are common enough in wealthy countries with good nutrition and prenatal care. Are they sent to the camps, relegated to the provinces, or exterminated at birth?

Got a new copy of my favorite Russian-English dictionary. My previous copy disappeared in my move, and is doubtless in a box in one of my storage lockers.

A good Georgetown antique dealer has agreed to take an oil painting I own on consignment. I dearly hope we both will make some money on it!

I never heard back from my LCD, after a sudden cessation in correspondence. I suspect I may have been too enthusiastic, and freaked him out.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your LCD was wasting your time, I think.

KYP said...

I know I am inclined by nature to give people the benefit of the doubt, but there is indeed a more benign explanation for the lack of correspondence: That he suddenly felt his English was inadequate, and that I was sending him too much information, too fast, in too complicated a form. I did learn some interesting tidbits about Korean culture, so the whole interaction was by no means a waste in an educational sense.