Translate

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Choir Scheduling, Part Duet

Turns out we were NOT singing in church this morning!  I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles we were, and so I dutifully set my alarm for 6:45, levered myself out of bed at the appointed hour, dressed in my almost-uniform of floorlength gray skirt, ruffled gray sweater and ruffled black shirt, and hurriedly drove into the sunrise to make it by 7:30 (the first service starts at 8:30, but on singing Sundays the choir has to get there ahead of time to warm up their voices and iron out any remaining wrinkles in that day's repertoire).  And no one was there.  Three vehicles in the parking lot and all the doors were locked.  I tapped on one and a passing deacon let me in.  "Maybe warm up starts at 7:45," I thought, hopefully. Nope!  The sanctuary was quiet and empty for half an hour, while I passed the time reading the dedication-inscriptions on the stained glass window in the choir loft and the empty silverplate urn on the dias.  The choir master, who is also the organist, rolled in at 8 and confirmed that next week we were singing--and we have another practice on Thursday (which I undoubtably would have missed without this personal reminder).  Then he turned on the "autoplay" feature on the pipe organ while he bustled around the loft getting things organized, and I was blasted back to my usual seat in the balcony, my chest reverberating with the sound.  It was a good way to start the day, but I am eagerly anticipating my afternoon nap!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Wow! Up early on a morning when you didn't have to be. That's one mistake I never make... (My sins fall towards the oversleeping/lateness problems!)