Translate

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A Wee Mishap

Had just gotten in from the gym late this afternoon, and decided to peel and peanut butter an apple for supper.  I used my shiny new peeler-corer, which left the naked apple in one unending spiral around an empty center, like a fruit Guggenheim museum.  Not easy to butter or eat.  So, I pulled one of my good Cutco knives out of the block on the counter to cut it into semi-circles. And I accidentally included my left thumbtip in the separating stroke:



Bled all over the kitchen counter and the bathroom.  Right off, I had had the idea of super-gluing it back together, but even superglue doesn't stick well when you're bleeding that briskly.  And you can't unwrap a bandage with just one functional hand--when you try to steady it with the injured one, it gets all wet with blood while it's still in the package.  So in the end I just squeezed my poor thumb in a paper towel for half an hour, and took a whopping dose of acetaminophen (it hadn't really hurt at first, but then, boy!). Once I'd mostly stopped bleeding, I re-positioned the partly-cut-off part (it'd gotten a little eschew during the drying-up process) and super-glued it in place.  It's stiff and funny-colored, and doubtless I'll lose a bit of it, but my stepdad came over and approved the gluing, so at least I got a physician's seal of approval.  Add another to my collection of memorable scars, though.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Ouch! Your pictures make me cringe!
I cut my right hand's index finger in January 2013. Also while in the kitchen - but using a mandoline, not a knife. And I wasn't actually "using" it, but hand washing it. (!!!)
My cut wasn't as bad as yours, but still bled a lot and was still painful. Didn't need super glue. :) Took about a week or two to feel bettter. Hope your cut doesn't keep you from being productive!

KYP said...

I took the photos because I can't text easily with one hand and I wanted to show my mother--who had flown up to RI in the morning--that I wasn't exaggerating my injuries. Thus far, the superglue is working out pretty well.

Barbara said...

I don't know how the time-date stamp works on these comments, but I most certainly did not post the comment above at 6:39 am, as anyone who knows me can guess. ;)Must be set to some other time zone....

KYP said...

Pacific time, methinks. Or maybe Hawaiian! :-)

Lenise said...

Never a dull moment! I didn't doubt your superglue skills for an instant ;)