Translate

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Abundance Of Boys

I have long claimed that I have a statistically unlikely preponderance of honorary nephews. On my last visit, my friend Anita challenged my assertion that almost all my friends have little boys, so I resolved to make a list to test this. Thus:

Susan: 1 boy
Paxifist: 3 boys
DesertRose: 3 boys
Amy & Larry: 1 girl
Clara: 1 boy
S Dawg: 1 girl, 1 boy
Vega: 1 girl, 1 boy
Pippa: 1 girl, 1 boy
Leah & Aaron: 2 boys
Wiggles: 2 boys

For my immediate social circle, that's 15 boys to 4 girls, which is significantly askew the usual 50/50 split.  Mind you, there was no prenatal sex-selection involved here, and American culture hasn't a bias for boy children (contrary to some Asian cultures, where sons take care of their parents, here, to quote Spencer Tracy in the original version of "Father of the Bride": "My son's my son til he takes him a wife, but my daughter's my daughter all of her life").

Anita doesn't want any boys, so I told her it was up to her to even out the percentage.  Looks like she and Tom have their work cut out!

No comments: