Translate

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Georgia Pines

Georgia pine trees are awesome.  Among their springtime feats is dropping a thick layer of pale buttery pollen dust over everything.  Thank God I am not allergic to pine pollen!  I went over to Mums' today to help her with yardwork in lieu of her rather squirrelly "all purpose teenager" (my brother Bob snidely remarked that I was now her "all-purpose middle-ager"), and every stroke of the rake on the grass raised a cloud of golden powder, like I was beating a rug that hadn't been vacuumed in 40 years (have I mentioned how grateful I am to not be allergic?!).

Before I drove over, I had to run my windshield wipers for a few seconds in order to shed the opaque pollen film coating the glass.  Between the lines in all the commercial parking lots around here there are big yellow spots--anywhere a bit of grease has fallen onto the asphalt from car engines, the pollen has adhered.  It's also acting like natural fingerprint powder--you can see yellow handprints on people's rear windows when stopped behind them in traffic.  I was going to clean the stuff off my patio furniture, but there's no point for at least another two weeks--they'll be re-coated almost instantaneously.

No comments: