Translate

Thursday, June 26, 2014

TESOL Course Completed!

I'm finally done with the TESOL certificate course I began before Christmas.  It took me about twice as long as the 160 hours advertised; I am so slow and comprehensive in note-taking that my progress was glacial. I probably wouldn't have gotten through it at all without June--her coming over twice a week to sit at my kitchen table and work on her own online TEFL course kept me motivated and moving.  Now, I'll get to find out whether this certificate has more street cred than my MA degrees...

I was part of a group interview at one of the major banks this afternoon.  There were ten women and one man being initially vetted for two positions, both part-time.  We were those who had made it through the lengthy online application and questionnaire process, and I think we all had applied for a post which we found out at the interview was no longer open (not that the two alternate spots posted on the board weren't OK, just further afield).  I will be surprised if I am offered a one-on-one interview. For one thing, I'm not sure I'm a "quota" sort of girl--one of the things about my previous work experience was that I did my best, and that was praised; I didn't have to tick off the numbers of new accounts I had opened day by day in order to ensure job security.

The group was really well-qualified as a whole, including one woman next to me who'd been a teller, and a bilingual (English/Spanish) lady whom I'd chatted up in the breakroom before the two-hour ordeal began who was outgoing, confident, friendly and clearly competent at a customer service level of which I can only dream.  Another woman had worked at a bail bonding place, and her tales of "customer service" (calling in favors to get a crack dealer out before trial) were worthy of a novel.  I didn't have a persuasive reason why I wanted to work for their bank in particular, whereas others were much more articulate on the subject.  But I did find out there is a place out in Thomson that will do digital fingerprint background checks, which is much faster than the ink version--and most reputable overseas schools want their teachers to have such.  So this may have been my one useful takeaway from the session.

No comments: