Translate

Sunday, November 09, 2014

40 Days Of Thanksgiving: Day 1

I was born on Thanksgiving Day, and will celebrate my 40th birthday in just a few weeks.  I had hoped to have a big party, invite all my friends to a feast accompanied by live music and gifts for everybody, and individually recognize all those dear folks who've blessed me with their comradeship thus far, but that grand plan was effectively skuttled by my severe lack of funds (maybe this can be realized if and when I reach the half century mark).  So, what to do?

Forty is a prominent Biblical number, often associated with trial or testing, which in turn is preparation for bigger challenges ahead. For example, the Israelites spent 40 years in the desert between Egypt and the Promised Land before moving into the latter, Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness fasting before beginning his earthly ministry, the Flood's rains continued for forty days and nights, Moses stayed on Mount Sinai receiving the Law for 40 days, Goliath taunted the Israelite armies at breakfast and suppertime 40 days before David took up the challenge, the Prophet Elijah traveled 40 days away from the wrath of Jezebel on the strength of divinely-provided food (an awesome MRE).  There've certainly been challenges over my first 40 years, but looking back, I've got a tremendous number of things to be thankful for, and so in honor of my own ruby anniversary,
I want to observe 40 days of counting my blessings.

Today, I am grateful for Grandmommy.  I got to spend the last three days with her, as the two of us drove to Marianna, Florida, to visit her 96-year-old sister in a nursing home there. Grandmommy always looks on the bright side, keeping her eyes on the Whom (God), rather than the why of what can be seriously trying circumstances. She always hopes and perseveres.  She is so cheerful and grateful for even small things, and her attitude and actions add beauty to others' lives on a daily basis.  I love her smile.  I hope I become more and more like her as I grow older!

1 comment:

gnutron said...

I'm waiting to see where candy corn falls on your list of things for which you're grateful.