Translate

Thursday, November 13, 2014

40 Days Of Thanksgiving--Day 5

I used to think I had to maintain a spotless spiritual veneer at church. Then, I got hit over the head with the reality of my deficiencies and God's providence, and realized that in the midst of other Christians was the one place where I was truly comfortable letting my hair down. It's gotten to the point where I almost never use bad language except in front of believers (not that I go around cursing like a sailor in Sunday School or anything). But these people know I am fallible, and we share the same Father, and screwed up as I am and they are, by God's grace we are siblings, simultaneously dedicated to loving each other through the rough spots and tough times, and to knowing the Almighty better.  So, my thanksgiving for today is for my church. Not just my home church here in Georgia, but that in Northern VA I attended for 10 years, and for fellow Christians in general. I am so grateful for the people who have prayed for me, gone with me to the hospital, patted my back when I cried from misery, just hung out with me and told stories over long, pun-filled lunches. Even the people in choir who have refrained from obviously cringing when I bungle the contralto notes are ministers of grace!

No comments: