Translate

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Unanswered Prayers (Or) 40 Days Of Thanksgiving: Day 21

There's a country song (which I may have referenced before) that contains the line, "sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers," and today I have been considering how "many dangers, toils, and snares" I've either come through or avoided entirely by virtue of the Almighty's not returning an affirmative to some of my cherished wishes or heartfelt entreaties.

There are many fond desires that I have enjoyed being fulfilled in larger  measure that I could have imagined, from chances for travel to glimpses of the weird or beautiful which stun me.  And then there are those moments in which the motto "God is my shield" seems to burn itself into my brain, when I meet a "what if" of the past and find it terrifying in its current aspect, an illustration of how badly off I could have been, mentally, emotionally, spiritually and otherwise, had only my tendencies at the time been permitted to express themselves.

Truly, the lines of my life have fallen in pleasant places.

No comments: