Translate

Thursday, March 03, 2016

My First Sick Day

Unless some miracle happens in the next eight hours, I will be taking my first sick day at my new job tomorrow, although I have yet to be fully vested with leave, being still in the probationary period. I'm really bad off, though, and I have worked ahead to the extent that the process shouldn't be slowed by my absence for a day. And it may be possible for me to work from home, even in my infirm state. My throat hurts, my ears hurt, my voice sounds and feels like I am gargling an irritated hedgehog, and my nose keeps clogging up. I'm coughing and tired. And yes, I felt like this all day and still put in a solid length of work, but I am exhausted, and I know I need to rest.

I did screw up spectacularly today, sending my boss a project that was a shambles. I hope that the several I dispatched that were better managed to rescue my reputation from the dustbin, but I felt like an idiot after he called me out on some stupid mistakes I'd made. There were a couple of things wrong that I really hadn't been told how to identify and fix, but there were lots of points at which I could have done better and just didn't, being careless. I must make myself a list of items to check before I submit sections to the higher-up for inspection.

Gosh, I feel rotten. It's like I'm making up for several years' worth of germs in a several month span. You don't realize how convenient it is to breathe through your nose until you can't.

No comments: